Venue: Kingston Lacy park, Wimborne, by kind permission of the National Trust.
Dates: Saturday 13th and Sunday 14th August 2011.
The Great Dorset Chilli Festival is a hot weekend of chilli fiesta, with stalls selling all things chilli, from chilli pepper plants, seeds and sauces to stranger combinations such as chilli chocolate, chilli cider and chilli ice cream. For the milder palate we have some really exciting local food producers, from artisan breads to Dorset charcuterie, traditional ginger beer to watercress burgers, chutneys, jams, amazing cakes, marinated olives, spice blends, superb snacks and smoked seeds.
- Chilli eating competitions (only for the brave!)
- Chilli-sauce competition (visitors get to try the sauces and vote for their favourite)
- Cooking demonstrations including Masterchef winner and Dorset restaurateur Mat Follas
- Chilli-growing talks including Dorset Naga developer Michael Michaud
- Carefully selected delicious hot food stalls: paellas, burritos, enchiladas, curries, wood-oven pizzas, organic burgers and barbequed chorizo
- Learn from the experts: discuss growing chillies at home or how to make your own sauces
- BBC Radio Solent will broadcast their breakfast show live from the festival
- Vibrant atmosphere, sublime cooking smells, bright colours, a real fiesta!
- The party has already started on our Facebook page!
Miles Halton, director of SureFire Events who manage the Great Dorset Chilli Festival, says “There’s a fantastic food culture here in Dorset and across the South West, and chillies are playing an ever increasing part in this culture. It’s a perfect culinary combination: Dorset and chillies!”
Chillies are a very fashionable ingredient due largely to celebrity chefs showing us all how to use them. Migration, cheap global travel and the breaking down of cultural culinary boundaries have all had an impact. The development of the super-hot chilli, the Dorset Naga, has already put Dorset on the map for UK chilli enthusiasts.
Visit website www.greatdorsetchillifestival.co.uk for full details, opening times, admission, directions etc. Discounted tickets online. Also on Facebook and Twitter @grtDorsetChilli
Recommended Reading: The Complete Chilli Pepper Book: A Gardener's Guide to Choosing, Growing, Preserving, and Cooking